April 20, 2017 PE and PLS (EN) Board of Registration Meeting
Massachusetts Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors
At the April 20 Board meeting, the Board discussed these issues:
- Revision to 250 CMR 2.00-7.00, per Executive Order 562, were promulgated on February 10, 2017, but the Board’s web site version of 250 CMR does not yet reflect this change.
- Continuing Professional Competency – recommendation was for 18 PDHs, no audit requirement. A Board vote possible in July
- As part of the discussion about Continuing Professional Competency (CPC), the Board reviewed a recommendation from the CPC Committee that would require 18 PDHs, with no audit requirement. Due to the need for a quorum on this issue, the Board tentatively agreed to discuss the issue and potentially vote at its July 2017 Board meeting.
- Also as part of this discussion, the Board discussed proposed legislation in the State of Maine that would rescind Continuing Education for engineers. The public hearing on (Maine) LD 1165 was held on April 13 before the LCRED (Joint standing Committee on Labor, Commerce, Research and Economic Development.) Committee of the Maine legislature. LD 1165 is the bill from the Board of Engineering Licensure that proposed to make a number of changes to the licensing standards, including eliminating continuing education and decoupling the PE exam from work experience. Several engineering associations, including ACEC, ASCE and MSPE spoke in opposition to the section of the bill that would rescind the mandatory continuing education requirement. As a result of their expressed opposition during the hearing, the legislature will not take action on that section of the bill during this legislative session.
- Educational Requirements for Licensure (Humanities requirement for international candidates)
- Job title issue
At future meetings, the Board will continue discussion of:
- Early PE Test Takers (some states are allowing EITS to take Principles and Practices Exam before they have the required
Next Board of Registration Meeting
The next meeting of the Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors is expected to be on May 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM.
Calendar of Board of Registration Meetings
Link to Minutes of past Board of Registration meetings
Posted by Abbie Goodman, firstname.lastname@example.org