Massachusetts Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors:
December 21, 2017 Meeting at 9:00 AM at the Offices of the Board—1000 Washington St, Boston MA 02118
- November 16, 2017 Public Session Minutes (Draft)
- Paul Tyrell, Board Chair, welcomed Joyce Hastings, PLS to her first meeting as a Board member and thanked Scott Cameron for his service. He welcomed Joanne Linowes, public member, to the first meeting he has chaired since her appointment.
- Erin Joyce, PE, also attended this meeting. Expected to be new Civil Engineer member of the board, replacing Joel Goodmonson, who has completed his board service.
- Paul Tyrell also thanked Joel for his board service and leadership
- Discussion of holding a joint meeting with the Board of Registration of Architects, which has many new members
- Recommendations regarding Jurisprudence Land Surveying Exam Test Takers
- 50 question exam, study guide is on the PCS website.
- There is an exam bank of questions from which the 50 questions are drawn. Questions have been developed by the Board’s Exam Committee over many years.
- 8 people took the last exam; 7 were MA residents; 4 were first time test takers
- Only 2 candidates scored 70 or above – 70 was passing score this round
- Board Counsel Legal Report:
- Update on Policy Regarding the Use of the Title Engineer: Sheila York, Board Counsel has been reviewing the statutory definition and definitions in other states. She will prepare a draft for Board review and discussion. There is particular concern over the title of Project Engineer (or Project Land Surveyor), when used by someone who is not licensed.
- Executive Director Report
- Self-report of discipline by Applicant J.M., Application Number 1009601
- Self-report of discipline by Licensee G.H., License No. 49738-C
- Review of Applications – the board reviewed a large stack of applications:
- Email from Tim Miller, PE, Director of Examination Services for NCEES, dated December 5, 2017, regarding upcoming changes to future exams. (More will be using computer-based testing, right now the following exams are computer-based tests: FE, FS, PS (except for paper Jurisprudence in MA and several other states), and PE Chemical.
- Brief Executive Session pursuant to G.L. c. 30A, §21(a) (1) to discuss character, rather than competency of Licensee C.D.
- Review of Complaints/Investigations/Settlement Discussions: [Closed Conference, G.L. c. 112, § 65C]
- Report of actions taken in Investigative Conference
- Next meeting will probably be held on January 18 or 25, 2018 – to be announced, will include Continuing Professional Competency Draft Regulations
- Draft schedule of future meetings after January:
- February 15
- March 22
- April 26
- May 24 (May 17-19 is NCEES Zone meeting in Portland, ME)
- June 21
- August 23 (NCEES national meeting is August 15-18 in Scottsdale, AZ)
- September 27
- October 25
- November 15
- December 20
Joyce Hastings, PLS has been appointed a PLS member of the Board of Registration and is expected attended her first board meeting on 12/21/17, replacing Scott Cameron, PLS, a former MALSCE President. We thank Scott for his years of service on the Board of Registration on behalf of the profession and the public.
Joanne Linowes has been appointed the Public member of the Board of Registration and attended her first board meeting as a board member on 10/26/17, replacing Ed Englander. We thank Ed for his service on the Board of Regisration on behalf of the public.
Next Board of Registration Meeting
The next meeting of the Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors is expected to be on January 18 or 25, 2018 at 9:00 AM, unless this is rescheduled. As noted above, this meeting is expected to include a detailed discussion very draft proposed regulations for mandatory continuing education in Massachusetts. TECET Webpage with more information.
Calendar of Board of Registration Meetings
Link to Minutes of past Board of Registration meeting
Posted by Abbie Goodman, email@example.com