by Abbie Goodman, MALSCE Chief of External Affairs
- This Dashboard includes number of vehicles registered in MA by community, including fuel class and annual mileage estimates to help monitor state's progress toward greenhouse gas reduction goals.
Legislature FY2024 Budget Update:
A legislative conference committee is resolving differences between FY2024 budget bills passed by the Massachusetts House of Representatives and the Massachusetts Senate. The Commonwealth is currently operating on a 1/12 budget for the month of July.
House vote: 4/26/23 - 156-0
Senate vote: 5/25/23 - 40-0
House conferees: Aaron Michlewitz, Ann-Margaret Ferrante, Todd Smola
Senate conferees: Michael Rodrigues, Cindy Friedman, Patrick O'Connor
Date sent to conference: 6/1/2023
First conference meeting: 6/7/2023
Would report to: House
Chapter 90 conference committee
A separate legislative conference committee is resolving differences between the House and Senate versions of the Chapter 90 bill.
- Local Road and Bridge Funding (Chapter 90): Bills: H3547 and S2375
House vote: 3/23/23 - 153-0
Senate vote: 3/30/23 - 40-0
House conferees: William Straus, Brian Murray, Steven Howitt
Senate conferees: Brendan Crighton, Paul Mark, Patrick O'Connor
Date sent to conference: 6/8/2023
First conference meeting: 6/13/2023
Would report to: House
- (Source: Rasky Partners) In mid-June, Governor Maura Healey announced the creation of the Massachusetts Community Climate Bank. The first in the nation green bank is dedicated to accelerating affordable housing development, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions within the building sector, and is seeded with $50 million from the Department of Environmental Protection.
- The Massachusetts Community Climate Bank is located within MassHousing and will work in collaboration with the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) and MassDevelopment. The funds within the green bank are intended to leverage federal funds and attract private sector investment to finance building retrofits and the construction of new, decarbonized buildings aimed at assisting the state with meeting its climate goals. The program will provide low-cost capital and innovative deal structures for the integration of clean energy and efficiency technologies into affordable housing developments. Moreover, it will accelerate building decarbonization by lending directly to building owners and use innovate finance products to draw private investment.
- The Healey Administration noted that its focus on affordable housing for the green bank is related to the existing, disproportionate impact energy costs and limited access to resources have on low- to moderate-income residents. The green bank is a key accomplishment for the Office of Climate Innovation and Resilience which was established by Governor Healey on her first day as Governor through an Executive Order.
Division of Occupational Licensure: Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors
- The next Board of Registration public meeting is posted as: July 27, 2023. As I write this article, the Board of Registration is planning to hold this meeting in person, with Teams available only for Board members and Division of Occupational Licensure. For meeting details, go to this page two business days before the meeting and scroll down to the meeting listing to download the agenda with either location or connection instructions.
- May 4, 2023 Board - public meeting minutes
- May 25, 2023 Board - see below for draft public meeting minutes that will be posted on Board's website
Updated Highlights of the 6/22/2023 Board of Registration Meeting
- The Division of Occupational Licensure is now required to record meetings.
- The board approved the May 25, 2023. Draft May 25 Public Session meeting minutes.
- Draft June 22 Public Session meeting minutes
- Patricia LaFore is the new legal counsel for the Board of Registration. Jenna Hentoff is moving to other Boards.
- JP Exam Conversion to CBT: This is still under discussion with the vendor
- Review of Revised Draft CORI Policy - Prior Version of CORI Policy New Proposed Version
- The Board voted to approve the new CORI policy
- Board Counsel Legal Report from Jenna Hentoff
- Joint Professional Practice document: Awaiting Action from Division of Professional Licensure's Deputy General Council
- This is most recent draft version: https://files.engineers.org/file/Updated-Draft-AR-EN-Prof-Practice-Guide-January-2023-002.pdf
- This document is under review by Division of Professional Licensure staff before it is issued to the public.
- Eventually, the Board of Registration is eager for ACEC/MA, BSCES, and MALSCE to assist in widely distributing this document to design professionals, state officials and municipal officials statewide.
- Draft Continuing Professional Competency Regulations are now in the Executive Office of Administration and Finance and then would move on to the Secretary of State's office for review.
- Board Executive Director Report: NCEES Enforcement Exchange: Several individuals with Massachusetts licenses appeared on the NCEES Enforcement Exchange list in the past month due to infractions in other states. Individuals are supposed to self-report to all boards in states where they are registered when this happens. Division staff is reviewing to see whether people have done the required self-reporting.